We are Which? magazine trusted traders




 Damp and mould advice for tenants

Damp and Mould
advice for tenants

Standards in your home

If you rent your home, major repairs are usually the responsibility of your landlord. This includes repairs to the structure and exterior of the property, heating and hot water installations, and sanitary installations. Your landlord is probably a business person renting out property as an investment for their future or retirement. They know it is in their own interests as well as yours to keep the property in good order so if you have a problem talk to the landlord, discuss the problem in a fair and reasoned manner and give them time to react to points raised.Dampness is generally a problem with the fabric of the building and will need to be adressed by your landlord, however condensation and mould problems are usually a combination of lifestyle and ventillation problems, you the tenant can go a long way towards keeping thes problems at bay - read our condensation section before you start complaining...the answer could be to do your lifestyle!!

Hazards can arise in the home because of its design, wear and tear, or a lack of maintenance. The most common hazards involve:

  • Mould growth and Dampness and other health threatening conditions 
  • Safety, internal and external handrails, steep stairs and poor lighting which may lead to slips trips or falls 
  • Poor insulatio, nInadequate heating and general disrepair 
  • Problems causing inadequate personal and domestic hygiene 
  • Firesafety 

In general it is the landlords responsibility to check and ensure the property is maintained as a warm and safe environment for the people who live there. The landlord may also need to take into account the requirements of tenants with special needs.

Tenants, how to help yourself

Not all problems are the fault of your landlord, dampness in walls can lead to condensation and mould problems but often condensation and black spot mould can be the result of the tenants lifestyle, certain things you do can have a major affect on the property. To make sure it is not something you are doing which is causing problems within property see our condensation page and familiarise yourself with the causes of condensation and Mould problems. Condensation Page

Tenants rights, how to get help

Any problems in rented property which could be a hazard should be brought to the attention of your landlord. Your landlord should be given a reasonable amount of time to put things right. It is always best to talk with your landlord first and have a chance to exchange views but if your landlord doesn't do anything to improve the situation, you can contact an environmental health officer at your local council, who can take action against your landlord to enforce the required improvements. 


Tenants with asthma, respiratory problems or other health issues.

If you have any health issues that are affected by the conditions in which you are living i.e. mould, mildew, condensation problems or poor air quality. Send your landlords contact details to us and we will send out a brochure to  inform and educate them as to what is available and at what price (we will automatically send you a copy too). Sometimes people bury their heads in the sand when they could sort out the problem easily and cost effectively. The information we send can sometimes be just the solution they are looking for, and action is often quick to follow. Click here  


Customer Feedback

So pleased I found this Company!

Very impressed with the range of professional services & product delivery  provided.  With a number of house issues promptly identified and rectified I feel like my home has been given a new lease of life! Can without reservation recommend Mike and the team as they give an excellent standard of work, value for money and do go that extra mile to get you sorted.

Dee Ford, Jesmond

 Read more customer feedback here


Contact Us
Use this form to:-
Request a Surveyor to visit
Request a callback
Send a Message


Triton approved contractors 

Approved Contractors