Damp and Mould advice for tenants

Standards in your home

If you rent your home, major repairs are usually the responsibility of your landlord. This includes repairs to the structure and exterior of the property, heating and hot water installations, and sanitary installations. Your landlord is probably a business person renting out property as an investment for their future or retirement. They know it is in their own interests as well as yours to keep the property in good order so if you have a problem talk to the landlord, discuss the problem in a fair and reasoned manner and give them time to react to points raised.

Dampness is generally a problem with the fabric of the building and will need to be addressed by your landlord, however condensation and mould problems are usually a combination of lifestyle and ventilation problems, you the tenant can go a long way towards keeping thes problems at bay - read our condensation section before you start complaining...the answer could be to do your lifestyle!!

Hazards can arise in the home because of its design, wear and tear, or a lack of maintenance. The most common hazards involve:

  • Mould growth, Dampness and other health threatening conditions
  • Safety, internal and external handrails, steep stairs and poor lighting which may lead to slips trips or falls
  • Poor insulation, Inadequate heating and general disrepair
  • Problems causing inadequate personal and domestic hygiene
  • Fire safety

In general it is the landlords responsibility to check and ensure the property is maintained as a warm and safe environment for the people who live there. The landlord may also need to take into account the requirements of tenants with special needs.

Tenants, how to help yourself

Not all problems are the fault of your landlord, dampness in walls can lead to condensation and mould problems but often condensation and black spot mould can be the result of the tenants lifestyle, certain things you do can have a major affect on the property. To make sure it is not something you are doing which is causing problems within property see our condensation page and familiarise yourself with the causes of condensation and Mould problems. Condensation Page

Tenants rights, how to get help

Any problems in rented property which could be a hazard should be brought to the attention of your landlord. Your landlord should be given a reasonable amount of time to put things right. It is always best to talk with your landlord first and have a chance to exchange views but if your landlord doesn't do anything to improve the situation, you can contact an environmental health officer at your local council, who can take action against your landlord to enforce the required improvements.

Tenants with asthma, respiratory problems or other health issues

If you have any health issues that are affected by the conditions in which you are living i.e. mould, mildew, condensation problems or poor air quality. Send your landlords contact details to us and we will send out a brochure to inform and educate them as to what is available and at what price (we will automatically send you a copy too). Sometimes people bury their heads in the sand when they could sort out the problem easily and cost effectively. The information we send can sometimes be just the solution they are looking for, and action is often quick to follow. Contact us.

Call and book your free visit for help and advice

If you think you have a problem and would like some expert advice why not talk to a fully vetted and accredited Which? magazine TRUSTED TRADER where you know you will receive an honest and fair appraisal of your problem and a highly competitive price if any work is needed!

Which trusted trader accreditation
Triton Approved Contractor Logo

Whatever your thoughts, questions or concerns may be, everything starts from a first step, the first step in this case is to get in touch, we will send a friendly helpful surveyor to you. You are then free to run your thoughts and ideas past him, he will sit down, chat with you and tell you whether what you want to do is practical and possible, if there are any more practical or cost effective alternatives you may not have thought of and give you an approximate cost for your project. We realise you may need a little help to decide what is possible, so we provide this service free of charge and with no obligation - except perhaps a coffee while we chat!

What areas do we cover?

We have teams covering the north-east however we can also assist nationwide. The areas we cover are shown below:

Northumberland 01670 707228

Covering but not limited to: Bedlington, Cramlington, Hexham, Morpeth, Northumberland, Tynedale.

Newcastle / Tyneside 0191 4066488

Covering but not limited to: Gateshead, Gosforth, Heaton, Jesmond, Low Fell, Newcastle Upon Tyne, North Shields, North Tyneside South Shields, South Tyneside, Team Valley, Tynemouth, Whickham, Whitley Bay.

Sunderland 0191 5947946

Covering but not limited to: Boldon, Sunderland, Washington.

County Durham and surrounding areas 0191 3385384

Covering but not limited to: Barnard Castle, Bishop Aukland, Chester-le-street, Consett, Crook, Durham, Sedgefield, Stanley, Wear Valley.

Nationwide 0800 0502400

We offer a nationwide service in other areas through our network of manufacturer vetted and approved contractors - just contact us for any UK area and we will do the rest.

Happy Customers Feedback

Back to top